I was listening to Margaret Rome's radio show "ALL ABOUT REAL ESTATE" on WCBM 680 last Sunday afternoon from 12-1 PM.
Photo Courtesy of Margaret Rome Home Rome Realty 410-530-2400
The main topic of the broadcast: Tips For Packing A Home For A Move.
The main topic of the broadcast this week was tips for packing a home for a move. I heard several great things that I had never thought of....
- Create an open space to put things that you have packed.
- For each area you are clearing have 3 boxes...1 for trash, 1 for charity and 1 for can't live without.
- Grocery Store and Liquor Store Boxes are heavy duty and perfect for packing.
- Beware of using grocery store boxes as you might carry bugs into your home and into your new home...one solution mentioned was to spray down the boxes with bug spray before packing.a
- Ask your real estate professional for a referral to someone who recently moved, they will probably have lots of boxes! Hint, if they don't know anyone who recently moved, they may not be the right agent! :)
- Clear the clutter. You will probably get rid of at least 30% of the contents of your home.
- Begin by packing out of season clothes and items.
- Use clear contractor bags so you can see the contents.
- Label each box with the contents...if you are not moving each box yourself, this method may put your valuables at risk. Another idea...Keep a private list of contents and code each box with a coordinating letter.
- Use FREECYCLE to get rid of usable unneeded items. Saves trips to the dump...One man's trash is another man's treasure.
You have way more STUFF in your home than you realize. Start packing sooner than later and be brutal with editing! It will be emotional, that's OK. You will get through it and you won't end up on an episode of Hoarders! If you haven't used it in 6 months to 2 years....GET RID OF IT! If it's your grown kids stuff, call them to come get it.
I love listening to Margaret Rome when she talks ALL ABOUT REAL ESTATE on Sundays from 12-1 on 680 WCBM in Baltimore, I always learn something new. If you missed it, check out the podcast here.
Be sure to listen to ALL ABOUT REAL ESTATE you never know when Maryland Mortgage Mama will be on the airwaves!
Bridget McGee Maryland Mortgage Mama NMLS# 196068 SWBC Mortgage. 410-960-2061 EHO email@example.com or www.marylandmortgagemama.com
If you are considering purchasing a home in Maryland and want to be sure you are mortgage ready, my brother Tony and I will be happy to help! We help to make the mortgage process a pleasure!
If you already own your home, we are happy to provide a no-cost mortgage review to help you to determine if refinancing may be in your best interest. Please contact me at 410-960-2061.